Saturday 22 August 2015

Return to Rovaniemi

By Elizabeth Johnstone

 “Next time with snow!”

Santa Claus Village
These were our parting words to Mensan friends after a trip to Rovaniemi in October 2011.  Being a woman of my word, I booked a long weekend in the capital of Finnish Lapland in January 2013.  I made similar arrangements to the previous trip - an ATOL-protected package booked through Guild Travel in London.  Finnair to Helsinki, then on to Rovaniemi.  The layover of one hour on the way out was worrying enough.  Thirty-five minutes in Helsinki to make the London flight on the way back was nerve-shredding! I can’t say I like the new Finnair uniform whose white bibs have a Star-Trek-goes-Nordic look. Not too flattering to the - shall we say - fuller figure.

My previous hotel, the Vaakuna, was already full when I booked in August.  The City Hotel was a more than acceptable substitute. Triple-glazed windows, ample breakfast buffet, a young and enthusiastic reception staff and a welcome sauna at the end of the day. 

After I had made my arrangements, the Mensa Northern Lights meeting in Rovaniemi was announced.  Neither the local Mensans nor I could change our timings, but it worked out well with me as guinea pig for some of the activities.  And I was just as welcome as an individual.

I went on my own this time. My husband took the view that the girls and I would be sitting around in coffeehouses chatting, Arctic or no Arctic.  Now why on earth did he think that?

I arrived on the Thursday evening to temperatures of -18°.  I had been forewarned about being properly dressed for the cold.  You can hire Arctic apparel from the many safari companies. I soon discovered I had to wear earmuffs, scarf, jacket and gloves (not forgetting long underwear) whenever I stepped outside, even to nip across the road to a shop.  It must make it hard to storm off after an argument when it takes so long to get dressed for the outdoors.  I needed ski-type overtrousers for the snowshoe activity where we were trudging knee-deep in snow and, periodically, falling over into it. Footwear was a major issue.  All pavements and roads are compacted snow, so grippers on the soles of my boots were essential.  I had Wintertrax (from QVC, not too proud to admit it) Yaktrax are a similar brand.  I had sturdy hiking boots, plus a second pair for when the first got wet in deep snow and had to dry out.  I had lovely old fur and sheepskin gloves.  The fur part was perfect, but the cold got in through a torn lining. At least there was no requirement for clothing in the sauna!

I walked down to the river to admire the iconic Lumberjack’s Lantern Bridge in the snow then turned back into town to eat.  Eating out in Finland can be prohibitively expensive, but I remembered Restaurant Martina from our previous visit. On two separate evenings I enjoyed a delicious Italian-style main course preceded by a salad from the buffet with a small glass of wine for about 20 euros. Believe me, that is a bargain.

The next day, I headed out to the Santa Claus Village, using the local bus.  Public transport in Rovaniemi is not great – most tourists are in large groups, ferried around by coach, and the locals prefer to travel by car.  However, the hourly number 8 bus is well used by visitors.  I enjoyed pottering through residential areas, noticing, for example, that a school playground was an ice rink.

The village was quiet after the seasonal wave of Russian tourists. The Russians are frequent and popular (i.e. big-spending) visitors, especially around their Christmas in the first week of January.   The municipality has produced an information brochure for them in Russian explaining, for example, that you do not need to drive in the middle of the road as you would in Russia to avoid potholes.  There is a Russian speaking customer assistant in the shopping centre.  Russia and Finland have a long history but the present "invasion" seems to benefit both nations.

I bought my eight stamps (in Finnish - love that partitive case!) at Santa’s Main Post Office and posted my cards there to get the special postmark.  I had a pleasant discussion with the elves who were busily sorting the mail to the “Christmas goat” i.e. Santa Claus.  If the letter has a recognisable address, the child receives a reply.  After browsing around the gift shops and taking plenty of photos, I treated myself to an Arabia mug as a souvenir from the iittala shop.

I was invited to lunch at the home of one of my Mensan friends.  An interesting phenomenon here and at another person’s house. The lady of the house produced a big dish of delicious food. She looked at me. I looked at her. No-one touched the food. The Finnish lady did not want to serve me and treat me like a child. I did not want to serve myself and look presumptuous and greedy. Eventually common sense prevailed - and we ate.

I tore myself away from a cosy setting to catch the last hour or two of light for photographs – it was all of two o’clock.  I walked through town to the church, then back along the bank of the mighty Ounas River to get different perspectives on the bridges.  I am no expert photographer, but I couldn’t walk past those majestic frozen trees without taking pictures.  A word of warning – I bought a big pack of suspiciously cheap batteries from a pound shop before I left home and had to dump the lot as completely useless. 

Next day was the snowshoe outing, a dry run for the event which my friend was hosting at the Northern Lights meeting.  I am unsporty and unco-ordinated. If it worked for me, it would work for anyone.   We started off from the Santa Sport complex at Ounasvaara.  Unsurprisingly, it has the full range of winter sports activities as well as the normal leisure ones.  I don’t know how many swimmers are brave enough for the replica “ice hole” in the pool area!

We donned our snowshoes, yes, the ones that look like high-tech tennis racquets strapped to your feet, and set off into the forest.  Plan A rapidly turned into plan B or maybe C and, to cut a long story short, we improvised our own mini-campsite in a clearing.  Like a Nordic Mary Poppins, my friend produced a stove, spirit, a pan, a container of pea and ham soup, rye bread sandwiches, teabags and a flask of boiling water from her rucksack.  She announced that we would eat like the Finnish army on winter manoeuvres, and I believed her.   There was much hilarity as members of the party fell over or struggled to regain their footing.  The forest was sparkling white in the mid-day sun but, by definition, we were off piste and this townie was secretly relieved to see civilisation in the form of ski-tracks.  “Ski-ing” to a Finn is what we would call cross-country ski-ing.  They slightly despise downhill ski-ing as being aided by chairlifts on the way up and gravity on the way down.

That evening, a different Mensan friend hosted an event where, after yet another delicious meal, the ladies made soap. This modern alchemy is a scientific process involving lye, fat, scent and colouring.  My contribution was providing moral support i.e. chatting at the table and taking the occasional photo.

Next day, in brilliant sunshine and -10°, I set off on a scenic walk across the bridge to look at the town from the other side. After Rovaniemi was razed to the ground by the Germans in 1944, it was reconstructed according to a “reindeer plan” by the famous architect Alvar Aalto.  Maybe the antlers and back are better appreciated from the air.  Certainly the buildings blend sympathetically into the snow, and provided some stunning images. 

That evening, we returned to the same friend’s house for a gourmet meal of local delights.  A savoury mushroom soup, then whitefish with a chef’s salad, wild mushroom sauce and Lappish potatoes, followed by a fruit soup (a compôte of hand-collected berries) and Chantilly cream, all washed down by a non-alcoholic beverage made from blackcurrant leaves.  By now, I knew to serve myself!

You have to plug your car in overnight to stop it freezing
I was fascinated to see how Finns drove in their winter conditions, which prevail for at least six months of the year.  The municipality sends the snow ploughs out quickly, but there is permanent compacted snow on the roads and pavements.  Finns drive with a confidence brought about by obligatory winter tyres, a three part driving test and long experience.  No wonder they are world rally champions.  In the same conditions, which we might have for a week or two in the UK, we crawl along.  Of course, you can over-do the confidence.  I was slightly nervous as the airport taxi driver chatted away on his phone and looked at paperwork while driving back to town on the frozen dual carriageway. 

All too soon, it was the last day.  My case  was full of bulky winter clothes, so I only squeezed in two tubs of lingonberry and blueberry preserves and a packet of xylitol chewing-gum. I was mildly apprehensive about the return journey.  The day after I flew out, winter struck the UK with a vengeance. Nevertheless, I surmised correctly that winter conditions were nothing new to Finnair and I returned to Heathrow without incident (and with my luggage, despite that 35 minute layover).

All in all, a fabulous weekend.  The Arctic temperatures were melted by the warmth of my welcome.  I was hypnotised by the magical landscape and I learned to respect the cold.  There was only one disappointment.  Not even those resourceful Arctic Mensans were able to conjure up the “foxfires”.  However, there is a simple solution.  I have to go back.


“Next time with Northern Lights!”

First published in VISA `109 (June 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment